Saturday, August 8, 2009

Impossible Faith… (Hebrews 11:5-6) 080809

Whenever my daughter wants to have her milk or food, she will come to me and say, “Please! Pa Pa!” Sometimes, she will not look at me and simply going through the motion of saying, “Please! Pa Pa!” Of course as a good mother, my wife will insist my daughter to look at me and say, “Please! Pa Pa!” But as a not-so-good father, I will just quickly go and make the milk for my daughter; because I just want to get it done and over with, so that I can either rest or do other stuffs.

I think I am like God (please to do stone me for saying that), easily pleased; not because of how sincere my daughter will say her, “Please! Pa Pa!” But I am pleased by her ‘faith’, trust and confident in her father to provide what is good and necessary for her.

When I read of Enoch being found as a man of faith, I refer back to Gen. 5:18-24. Only seven verses about this man who is generally described as one who walked with God (Gen. 5:22, 24). The commentator of my NIV Study Bible for verse 6 says that Enoch pleased God is proof of his faith. What did Enoch exactly does that pleased God?

When I understand the context of Enoch’s life in Gen. 5 and here Hebrews 11, it is Enoch’s walk with God that pleased God. And his walk with God is the proof of his faith. In other words, Enoch’s faith is demonstrated by his daily and faithful walk with God. This pleased God.

And do you know that to walk with God daily and faithfully is impossible? How easy it is for us to go about life without God for a day? How easy it is for us to forget God in the midst of our busyness? How easy it is for us to walk away from God when things are not going in the way we want? Therefore, to walk with God daily and faithfully; it is impossible! The only with it can be done, by faith.

This is what I called the impossible faith. For me to please God by my effort, it is impossible. I can never able to achieve it. If we are honest with ourselves, we know that we are not faithful in many areas of our life, at least one area; and that warrants a disqualification for please God. It is by the grace of God that we can by faith in Christ, please God. We can please God because God walk with us daily as the Holy Spirit dwells in us. Christ makes the impossible into possible.

As I continue to reflect and meditate on these two verses in Hebrews, I pray that I will continue to be in tune with the Holy Spirit and be sensitive to His leading and walk with Him. Though quite impossible, by faith I will do it. Will you?

HHS…
Abel…

No comments: