Monday, January 5, 2009

A Deer Psalm… (Psalm 42) 050109

It has been a long while since I write my devotion. I have to confess that I have been lazy; and confession is good for the soul. Indeed, I have been busy (after all, I am a pastor, and getting busy at the end of the year is excusable). But, being busy does not give me the license to be lazy. Especially being lazy with what I have promised God that I will do, that is to keep writing devotion.

I write my devotion and post it on blog is not to show off anything. I have nothing to show off as I know that not many people are reading and there are full of grammatical errors and tenses mistake that makes many people tensed up. I want to write and post my devotion on blog is to hold myself accountable for my spiritual and Word life. It is so easy for me as a pastor to study the Bible for my congregation, but not reading the Word of God for myself. This devotional blog is a reminder for myself to keep reading and studying the Word for myself and hopefully be a blessing to others who happened to read them. I believe that unless I am completely soaked in the transforming Word of God, there will be nothing authentic and powerful overflowing from me.

I have completed the Book 1 Psalm (Ps 1 to Ps 41), and I will start again with the Book 2, beginning with Psalm 42.

Psalm 42 is a very beautiful and profound Psalm. The Psalmist begins with a very breath-capturing image of a deer panting for water (v1). Commentators say that the Psalmist was probably overseeing a brook while hiding out in some mountainous area from the presence of his enemies. The Psalmist was probably tired, hungry (v3), thirsty (v2), despair (v5), disturbed (v5), and doubtful of God (v3); he was down and out. Though there were moments of joy and gladness before, for some reasons, he was down and out when he composed this Psalm.
I have just preached some good sermons, and experience some breakthrough and enjoying my ministry, and my father’s health is improving greatly; when I start the new year, I can sense somewhat tired. The most obvious clue is that I can’t bring myself out of my bed this morning! And I know I need to reflect, I need to taking time with God and I remember my promise to God or rather God’s promises for me. Therefore, I write my devotion.

A scene of a deer drinking water for a brook can trigger such a tremendous reflection and honest dealing with ones soul; a Psalm in the Scripture can also trigger a tremendous transformation of a sincere reader. For this Psalm, I gather that it is alright to doubt, to be tired, to be thirsty and hungry and even despair; but I must be honest and deal with it. After all, there is nothing we can hide for God. He knows the deepest secret of my heart. Even a slip second of lustful thought or a slightest intention to get even with unforgiveness or a seemingly harmless desire to satisfy ones pride; God knows.

The theological technical term for this is called “Omniscience”. God is all-knowing. Yes, God is ALL-KNOWING! There is nothing He doesn’t know. So, don’t try to hide. Be honest and deal with issues that are not right. Deal with unforgiveness, deal with doubts, deal with our fatigue, deal our pride, and deal with ourselves.

Is there anything else I need to deal with as I reflect upon this Psalm? How about you, if you are reading? Be honest and let the Word of God transforms you and I.

HHS…
Abel…

No comments: