Monday, March 2, 2009

Consider Jesus… (Hebrews 3:1) 020309

Hebrews 3:1-6 should be one unit for discussion, but as I read and meditate, I would rather focus on verse one of Hebrews chapter 3. I am led to fix my thought on the phrase: consider Jesus (NASB).

NIV translates is as fix your thoughts on Jesus. The Greek word for this is in imperative form and directs to second person which means the author of Hebrews is giving a command (whereby some will see it as strong suggestion) to his readers (which is us today). This word has a range of semantic meanings: to observe, to notice, to consider, to fix thoughts and even to contemplate. And I gather from another Greek linguistic book, the word expresses attention and continuous observation and regard (by Rogers and Rogers).

I am not here to show off my Greek, instead as I meditate and contemplate on scriptures, I am allowing the Holy Spirit to lead me to words and phrases which He wants to speak to me. And plunging into the original language and reading up commentaries helps me to appreciate the depths and widths of it.

This morning, God just wants my thoughts to be fixed on Jesus. He wants me to consider, to observe, to contemplate, to give attention and regard to Jesus. What about Jesus He wants me to consider?

The author of Hebrews highlights two roles: Apostle and High Priest.

Leaving the technical meaning aside, Apostle and High Priest are the two most important figures in the New Testament and the Old Testament. The Hebrews’ author is clearly suggesting to us that Jesus fulfils the role of an OT High Priest and NT Apostle.

As a High Priest, Jesus offers sacrifice for our redemption, and the ultimate offering is Himself on the Cross. And as an Apostle, Jesus is the one being commissioned as an authoritative representation, and He is the exact representation of God with full authority being sent by God.

There is no one else in the history of humanity have the capacity to fulfill these two roles as one, only Jesus. Consider Jesus; consider His sacrifice on the Cross. Consider Jesus; consider His humility to step down into humanity as the sent one. On earth, He represents God; in heaven now, He is our representation, interceding at the right hand of the throne.

Consider Jesus; consider your life, is it pleasing to Him? Consider Jesus; consider your work, is it honoring to Him? Consider Jesus; consider your service, is it devoted to Him? Consider Jesus; consider your family, is it glorifying His name? Consider Jesus; consider your relationship with others, is it a reflection of His love and grace? Consider Jesus; consider the Cross, especially during this season of Lent, what does the Cross means to you?

As I consider Jesus, my heart is heavy, because I know that I am not fully yield to the leading of the Holy Spirit. As I consider Jesus, my soul is stirred to notice my selfish desires and needs. As I consider Jesus, I am led to the Cross to weep and to confess. As I consider Jesus, I am rest assured that Jesus is the Apostle and the High Priest of my confession; I am redeemed!

Consider Jesus.

HHS…
Abel…

No comments: