Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day 8: Freeze the moment… (Luke 9:32-33) 04 Mar 09

Today, I am being sent back in time to a Christian camp experience during my university days. After being backslidden for a few years, I was being invited to that camp while I was having a throat infection which caused me not able to talk; but the Lord spoke to me during that camp, and my life was not the same from that day onward. It was a mountain top experience, I wanted it to remain that way; but the reality is that it didn’t.

Peter saw the glory of Jesus when he was fully awake, it was not a vision, neither was it a hallucination; it is real! Peter saw Jesus transfigured before He went to the Cross to be disfigured. This is the power of the Cross, God’s love for us: from transfiguration to disfiguration.

Peter wanted to freeze the moment; he wanted to make a tabernacle to capture the moment. If transfiguration takes place in our modern day, Peter will take out his mobile-phone with camera function and snap it! Probably he will post it on his blog later. Can we freeze the moment? Can Jesus be captured by us desire? Can God be frozen to suit our theological framework? Probably not. Interestingly, the word tabernacle is more than just a tent, it has the connotation of God’s dwelling (John 1:14 – the word ‘dwelt’ is the same as ‘tabernacled’).

Jesus took a long journey to travel from transfiguration on the mountain to disfiguration on the Cross on another mountain. He is asking me to go on this journey with Him. It is going to be painful, it is going to blow my mind, and it is going to disfigure my own image of ‘self’ so that I can be fully awake to see His glory.

Are you also prepared to be fully awake too? When you are fully awake, you may see your disfigured image of ‘self’, but you will see the full glory of God. But don’t try to freeze that moment, because God is going to show you His greater glory, if you keep going with Him. Don’t stop there, keep on moving, it’s going to be painful and tough, but greater glory is waiting for you.

HHS…
Abel…

No comments: