Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Day 7: Wait to be encountered… (Luke 9:30-31) 03 Mar 09

I have been writing my own devotions and Bible study and even post them online as blog. My aim is not to show people that I know a lot about the Bible or I am a more spiritual species; but it is a simple way whereby I can monitor my own walk with God in my knowledge and my intimacy with Him. My in depth study of the Word can be tough and mind boggling at time; but as the Holy Spirit illuminates my mind and heart to zoom in to a particular issue and grip my heart to grapple with it, I know the Lord is speaking deep into my being. And that is so refreshing! I agree with the author, Ser Choon, that Exegetical work need not be dry as dust. But the key to a refreshing and transforming devotions and Bible study is a posture: wait to be encountered.

This is the key. We can do Lectio Divina, we can also do Ignatius Contemplation; but if the heart is not waiting upon the Holy Spirit to have that encounter, it is only an exercise of the mind, perhaps an exercise of the emotion too. Whereas a seemingly rigorous intellectual study of the Bible but with the expectancy to wait for have an encounter with God through the study, that will be refreshing and transforming.

As we are on this season of Lent, practicing Lectio Divina, take time to wait to be encountered by our reading and even studying of the text given each day.

Just like today reading, I find myself in my ‘Jerusalem’, a place whereby the Lord wants me to be in to face my cross, just as He faced His Cross. The Holy Spirit simply but powerfully reminds me of my calling and gently reminds me to act upon it. I will face rejection, I will have to deal with my disappointment, and I will have to take up my cross. I can only weep in gratefulness for His assurance and love and the privilege to carry the cross He assigns to me.

What is the Holy Spirit speaking to you today? Do you have a Jerusalem to go to? You can carry your cross and go elsewhere, because you won’t be crucified there. But if you carry your cross to Jerusalem, there is where you will face the force of the cross: Crucifixion. Are you ready for it?

If you have not heard from the Holy Spirit, wait to be encountered.


HHS…
Abel…

No comments: