Friday, March 13, 2009

Diligent rest… (Hebrews 4:6-11) 130309

This is the third time the author of Hebrews quotes: Today if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts (3:7b-8a; 3:15; 4:7). I think this is it! The message is so clear! There must be people among the original audience of Hebrews are either not listening to God’s voice or hardening their hearts even if they hear it.

As I survey through the book of Hebrews up till this point, I can sense that people in those days are making almost the same mistake of their forefathers. And the author of Hebrews is issuing a set of warnings and reminders to them. He reminds them of the finished work of Christ which can enable them to enter rest. May it be Sabbath rest, or soteriological rest, or eschatological rest; Christ death on the Cross demands us to rest. And the warning for me will be: Today if I hear His voice, do not harden my heart! How can I miss such warning if it is repeated three times?

Therefore, the question will remain: what have I heard from the Lord which I need to listen and not harden my heart?

Rest.
Diligent rest.
When I read this phrase: Let us therefore be diligent to enter rest (v11), I think that it is an oxymoron. How can one be diligent while resting? And how can a restful person engage in diligent work? Most scholars will argue that the ‘rest’ here most like is referring to eschatological rest, which is in line with Paul’s idea of working out our salvation with fear and trembling in Philippians 2:12. But I will view the ‘rest’ also includes the soteriological rest and hope and assurance in Christ that one does not require to perform to please God.
As I meditate, I begin to realize what the author of Hebrews is trying to say. In the entire context of Hebrews up till this point, he is warning and reminding his readers for their lack of faith in Christ completed work on the Cross, not believing the rest which is promised by God. The author wants his readers to be diligent in listening to the voice of God, which is why he repeats this three times. And remember to rest.
As a pastor, this is the most difficult thing to do. There are so many needs out there; people need counseling, patients need to be visited at hospital, preaching and teaching need to be prepared, events and programs need to be organized, and family members need to be taken care of. What is left for a pastor? No time to rest. I already experienced burnout even before I come back to ministry last year, I have told myself and I will have to ruthlessly eliminate all obstacles for me to have time to rest.
I plan my rest day. I plan my day alone with God. I diligently guard it and not to receive any phone calls or ministry related assignment. I don’t even read theological book or prepare my sermons and teaching. I only do things which I enjoy and have extended time to soak in God’s presence. And it is not easy to do so. I have to diligently find rest.
I discover that only when I have enough rest, I can be more diligent in what God has for me to do. Have you been resting lately? Or you are resting late? Diligently find time to rest. Ruthlessly rest. Diligent rest.
I will be very busy this week end, in fact after I finish this devotion; I will be running around. I will be checking out Sungei Buloh, and then meeting an young adult for lunch, and then visit a Boys’ Brigade Company, and then prepare for small group Bible Study tonight, and then run Boys’ Brigade program tomorrow, and then teach Baptism class on Sunday morning, and then coordinate Adult Bible Fellowship in the afternoon, and then family dinner. But I will be having my Day Alone with God on Monday and off day on Tuesday. So, let me rest.
HHS…
Abel…

No comments: