Friday, March 20, 2009

Higher Priest… (Hebrews 5:5-10) 200309

Jesus is our High Priest. He fulfills the qualifications and requirements to be our High Priest. He is surely divinely appointed by God (v5-6). He is also able to empathize and sympathize with us as He has gone through sufferings and even death (v7-8). Furthermore, Jesus has been made perfect through His suffering, as in completed the work on the Cross and becomes the source of eternal salvation (v9). Jesus is more than a high priest, He is our Higher Priest.

The idea that Jesus was sent by God to earth to walk the path of suffering, it is unthinkable. Knowing that Jesus is our Higher or even the Highest Priest is comforting, but His journey to the Cross is also something worthwhile pondering upon. As I read this passage, technically I can write a paper on how come Jesus qualifies as our High Priest, but the point is not about Jesus role as our High Priest. This is a fact; this is predestined before the foundation of the world. The more personal question will be: what does it mean for me that Jesus has to go through sufferings and death on the Cross, just to be my High Priest?

I am especially amazed and amused as I am walking with Jesus on this journey in this season of Lent. As a pastor, I love my members and I try to empathize and sympathize with them. To a certain extent, I suffer for them, but I do not have to die for them. Even I have to die for them; I don’t need to die on the Cross. Jesus does not only qualify Himself to be our High Priest, He even goes an extra mile to the Cross and beyond, so that we can have a Higher Priest.

When I think of Jesus having to go through sufferings and death on the Cross, I am grateful. I am also remorseful for the things I have done and hopeful that my sins are forgiven because of His work on the Cross. How about you?

Today is Friday, and the weekends will be a good time for us to once again to slow down and meditate on the Cross, especially we are in the season of Lent. You may be busy with ministry service or with your family, and even your work; but I hope you will craft some time out to simply reflect on Jesus as being our Higher Priest. He is no longer on that Cross, He has gone beyond that Cross. What does that mean to you?

TGIF: Thank God It’s Friday.

HHS…
Abel…

No comments: