Friday, March 6, 2009

Today… (Hebrews 3:12-13) 060309

I know that Hebrews 3:12-19 is a complete unit, and most commentators will give their comments in consideration of the entire section. I am not a scholar, and I agree with the commentators, but when I meditate and ponder, I cannot get myself through verses 12 and 13. I have mentioned many times, that Bible reading is more than Bible study, and Spirit led reading of Scriptures is neither ignoring the Biblical scholarship and research and commentaries.

The author of Hebrews issues two in imperatives in verses 12 and 13: ‘take care’ (v12) and ‘encourage’ (v13). When someone gives an imperative advice in his letters or sermons, it is not to be taken lightly, and this can gives us a sense of the real issue the author is dealing with. In this case, the author is warning his readers to watch out for anyone to develop an evil, unbelieving heart, and falling away from the living God (v12); and encourage one another daily to guard against hardening of heart by deceitfulness of sin (v13).

When I read such warning issue in the Scripture, my heart is heavy. Yes, the author is trying to be positive about it by asking his readers to take care and encourage; but the fact of the actual reality is alarming to me. And when I actually reflect and search my heart with all honestly, this may be true to me.

Though I am not evil and unbelieving at all times, I do have evil thoughts passing through my mind and doubt about God. Though my heart is not completely hardened by deceitfulness of sins, I can be quite indifference at times, especially when I occasionally harbor some sins. Maybe, if you are honest with yourself, you are not much different from me, but I think you should be better. But the author points out that we are all the same and we need to ‘take care’ and encourage’ one another. We need each other, we need the community, and I need you just as you need me; to take care and to encourage.

My heart continues to be burdensome by these two verses. My spirit is stirred up to ask God to search and purify my heart. And I cannot wait till tomorrow; I have to do it today. The author makes it so clear and the Holy Spirit illuminates even clearer for me to realize that I have to seize the day. I have to do it today. I have to learn to ‘take care’ and ‘encourage’ today.

As a pastor, I have been hiding behind my books and laptop, and sometime the pulpit. I use my writings and preaching to take care and to encourage the members of the church; but today, the Holy Spirit stirred up in me to take care and encourage my members today, daily, day after day; in a personal way.

I can still write and preach, but God wants me to visit one another, eat with one another, walk with one another, and laugh and cry with one another. I have been hesitant to do so, but as my wife gives me the permission to own a motorbike, I know straight away that God wants me to move around, into the lives of others, to be with them: take care and encourage them.

Do you have someone or a small group of believer friends whom you are called to take care and encourage? Have you been taking care of them and encouraging them? Maybe your presence in a small group is an encouragement to the others. Maybe your SMS message to a brother or sister (or to me) is seen as a caring act. Take some time to scroll down the phone list in your mobile phone, give someone a call, a message or even a prayer; meet someone for lunch next week; buy someone a small gift; or take time to listen to someone. Don’t wait till tomorrow to do it; if you are reading this now, do it now, do it today.


HHS…
Abel…

No comments: